- Master Plan Survey Results
Under New Hampshire statutes, Canaan's Planning Board has the following powers and responsibilities:
- Developing and up-dating the Town's Master Plan
- Assisting in developing a Capital Improvements Plan
- Adopting and administering sub-division regulations and driveway requirements
- Regulation of excavation activities
- Authorizing building on Class VI town roads (town roads not maintained by the town but available for passage by right of way)
The Master Plan identifies the resources and needs of the community and recommends a plan for its growth and meeting its needs. It does not restrict growth by regulation. Typically this is done through zoning ordinances. Canaan does not have a town wide zoning ordinance.
There are regulations which restrict and manage land within the Canaan Historic District. Sub-divisions of property, including the construction of two homes on one lot, are regulated by the Sub-Division Regulations and apply town wide. Excavation activity is regulated by the Planning Board as well. Learn more at the Ordinance Tab on the Building Inspector Page
Furthermore, there are federal floodway regulations that restrict or limit activity in floodways, and there are state laws which regulate shoreline and wetland activities:
Canaan Floodway and Floodplain Regulations
- Floodplain and Floodway Maps
- Flood Plain Regulations
- Contact Building Inspector at 523-4501x4 for information on floodway restrictions.
State of New Hampshire Bureaus & Regulations
In March 2013 a survey was conducted in preparation for revision of the Canaan Master Plan. The survey collected many varied facts and opinions, and those are summarized in this document.
There were many comment opportunities in the survey which will be summarized shortly, but the raw data can be viewed in these 10 links:
- Business & Economy
- Open Space
- Residential Growth
- Town Services
Forms may be filled out electronically if the Form PDF is opened and saved to your own computer. In some browsers you may need to roll your mouse along the bottom of the PDF to view the Save Menu.
Forms may be returned to the Town Office at 1169 US Route 4, PO Box 38, Canaan NH 03741
- Town Driveway Permit
- State Driveway Permit: Routes 4, 118 & Canaan Street
- Major Subdivision Checklist
- Minor Subdivision Checklist
- Request for Conceptual Consultation
- Form C: Application for Approval of Final Subdivision Plat
- Application for Waiver of Subdivision Plan Review Requirement
- Rules of Procedure & Application